Creamy Tomato Basil Soup2013-10-26
- Yield : 4-5 cups
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 55m
A simple revamp on a classic dish that’s easy to make in bulk and oh so tasty! You can’t go wrong with a cup of soup and some hearty bread for dipping. Feel free to use this as a base and add in mixed veggies, beans and/or quinoa or lentils to take it a step further.
- 6 Medium Tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil
- 1 1/2-2 cups Water (or veggie broth)
- 1/2 large Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 Carrots (peeled & chopped)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1/8 cup Non-dairy Milk
- 4 oz. Non-dairy Cream (cream cheese, optional)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika (cracked)
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp Earth Balance (non-dairy butter or oil)
In a large pot sweat your onions with your non-dairy butter (or oil) and carrots for 15-20 minutes on a medium heat, string frequently to avoid burning or browning.
Add in your garlic, diced tomatoes, bell pepper and basil along with your seasonings and water (or stock). Stir till evenly combined. Let everything cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to crack and mush up.
Add in your non-dairy milk and cream. Then, using a blender, food processor or a handy dandy hand-held blender. Puree soup till smooth, in batches if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve hot with a non-dairy grilled cheese sandwich or a hearty bread for dipping, enjoy!