Crunchy Vegan French Toast2016-11-16
- Yield : 4 pieces
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
This is not your average French toast.
It’s crunchy, satisfying and 100% plant based.
I’ve had quite a passion for breakfast food for as long as I can remember. I was, and still am an advocate for breakfast for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. But as they say, everything in moderation. Which is why when you do make breakfast for all meals of the day, be sure to switch it up – tofu scramble for lunch, oats for dinner, and of course, this French toast for breakfast.
Seriously friends, it’s bananas how easy this is to make.
You can add whatever you would like to the outside to bump up the crunch – I used quinoa and a bit of chia seeds, but you can easily add your favorite granola or cereal, as long as it sticks! On the other hand, you can omit the crunch all together and enjoy your french toast the old fashion way: crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.
Serve it up with some warm maple syrup or peanut butter drizzle (YUM!) and you’ll be bready to tackle anything the day can throw at you!
- 4 slices of your favorite bread
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 T almond milk (can sub other non-dairy milk)
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 t vegan butter or olive oil (to grease griddle)
1. In a medium bowl, mash banana with fork or blend in food processor until fairly smooth. Add almond milk 1 T at a time until thick liquid is formed and stir in the vanilla extract and cinnamon,
2. On a seperate plate, lay out half the quinoa.
3. Dip a slice of bread in the banana mixture one side at a time, ensuring even but not overly saturated coating. Transfer to the plate, laying the slice over the quinoa and turning over to coat both sides in quinoa.
4. Heat griddle to medium heat and throw on a small coating of vegan butter or olive oil. Once heated, lay bread out on the griddle.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4, refilling the plate of quinoa as needed, until all pieces are on the griddle. Flip pieces every 1-2 minutes until both sides start to become golden brown and crispy.
6. Top with fruit, maple syrup and/or cinnamon and enjoy!
Average Member Rating
(4.3 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe