Super Star Lentil Taco Salad2014-06-04
- Servings : 2-4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 35m
Dreaming of warm days and summer fresh vegetables, I put together this simple and savory lentil taco salad for you all. Crispy tortillas are topped with tomato seasoned lentils and perfectly cooked chili spiced veggies. Finish with sliced avocado or guacamole, some chopped cilantro or parsley and drizzle of hot sauce and you have yourself a lovely meal. This took me about 25 minutes to put together. Here is the recipe, very versatile, full of healthy plant protein and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 1 1/2 cups green or brown lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (canned or sun-dried are fine-half if sun-dried)
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (white button or crimini)
- 1 cup bell pepper, sliced (I used red)
- 1 cup broccoli, cabbage, or kale, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cilantro (or parsley), chopped
- 1 tsp medium-high heat oil (avocado, canola, grape seed, coconut)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- corn tortillas, 2 per person
- Optional: other veggies to use in place of mushrooms, broccoli, etc: carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, zucchini
Combine lentils, broth or water, 1/2 tsp salt, tomatoes, turmeric, and black pepper in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer, and let cook for 15 minutes until lentils are soft and liquid is absorbed.
While cooking lentils, heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add chili powder to oil and stir. Add all veggies, onion through broccoli and saute until lightly browning and softening, about 5-10 minutes. Add cilantro, 1/4 tsp of salt (or more or less to taste) and 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar. Stir and remove from heat.
Individually warm tortillas in a pan to soften and gently wrap them in a clean dish towel to keep warm.
When lentils are done cooking, stir in 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice), and add salt if needed. Place a heaping spoonful of them on plate, top with sauteed veggies and sliced avocado. Cut tortillas into triangles (like cutting a pie) and arrange around lentils and veggies. Drizzle with hot sauce if desired and serve!