Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage with Apples2012-10-09
- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 45m
With cooler weather coming on, a pot of braised red cabbage and apples is a delicious addition to any fall table.
COST PER SERVING: around 25 cents
- 1 head red cabbage, quartered, cored, and finely shredded with a knife
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons neutral (canola, vegetable, etc.) oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
Put cabbage and apples in a large covered pot over medium heat. Add boiling water, cover, and cook 10 minutes, until cabbage is slightly softened.
Combine remaining ingredients and add to cabbage. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes (or pretty much as long as you want, but 20 minutes should be good).
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe