Sweet Potato Biscuits2016-11-23
- Yield : 8 biscuits
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and man am I pumped. Evenmore so this year because it will be my first soley plant-based thanksgiving ever! Finally a chance to give my family a taste of how good a plant-based holiday can really be.
A lot of people can’t picture a vegan thanksgiving because they get fixated on the fact that there is no turkey present. Fortunately, a vegan thanksgiving features all the other traditional eats – stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green beens – and tons of other plant-based goodies too. You’ve got your sweet potato soups, veggie lasagnas and yes, even your favorite pies! All it takes are a few easy substitutions and a bit of creativity, to make a healthy and delicious holiday possible.
And these biscuits will help get you started. They are a fun twist on your average dinner rolls – filling, slightly sweet and even super cheap to make. I had most of the ingredients lying around besides the sweet potato, so my total cost ended up being a whopping $0.46. Talk about a sweet deal (and a sweet dinner roll).
Happy Holidays friends!
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 1 medium potato)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (can sub spelt)
- 4 T chilled vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mash sweet potatoes well and combine with milk until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together salt, flour and baking powder
3. Cut cold butter into the flour mix, mixing until a grainy meal is formed.
4. Fold flour into mashed sweet potatoes and knead into a dough (do not over knead). Scoop ice cream scoop sized dollops onto a greased baking sheet, pressing the top of each biscuit down slightly.
5. Bake for 20 minutes then remove and cool.
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe