As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Succulent oven roasted mushrooms, stuffed with fragrant pumpkin seed pesto and served with a side of simple tomatoes dressed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. It’s the perfect spring or summer meal, packed with nutrients and an enormous amount of vegetable magic squeezed into each cap. Rich in iron, zinc, and protein, the pumpkin seeds lend their unique power packed profile to this dish. It’s prep time (10 min) to “wow your friends” ratio is superb, and you will be the star of any potluck you bring these to. They also make a wonderful mid-week meal, as you can play with the herbs you use, and dress them up or down as desired. Give ’em a shot!
Pumpkin Seed Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 crimini (or white button) mushrooms, whole
- 1/4 cup of yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of cauliflower (or broccoli, or kale) chopped
- 1/4 cup of raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- 1/4 cup of fresh oregano (or 2 Tbsp dried)
- 2 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly oil baking sheet with 1 Tbsp high heat oil (avocado, grape seed, organic canola).
- Separate mushroom stems from caps, and place caps on baking sheet.
- Place mushroom stems and all other ingredients in bowl of food processor. Run until all pieces are small and uniform and mixture comes together. You may have to scrape down sides of bowl a few times.
- Fill each mushroom cap with a generous spoonful of the filling. Sprinkle with additional salt, nutritional yeast, and black pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until mushrooms have released their liquid and tops have become crispy.
- If desired, serve with a side of tomato salad (tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper). Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.