- Yield : 1 batch
- Servings : 6 - 10
- Prep Time : 5m
- Ready In : 5m
If you have been experimenting with your hummus recipes and adding some zing with red pepper, beets, or avocado, then we salute you! We love experimenting with basic and classic recipes, but there comes a time when you should consider going back to basics. This is one of those cases because a Classic Hummus recipe is and will always be perfect. Brace yourself for this creamy and uber delicious hummus spread!
Dip or Spread?
There seems to be a big debacle going on (since forever!) about whether hummus is a spread or a dip. We must admit, it is a tricky territory to navigate but we are happy to report that this topic is not up for discussion. It’s both and that is one of the million reasons why we love it so much. We can all agree that it is the perfect dip for some crackers, veggie sticks, and the master centerpiece for a festive veggie tray. But we can’t deny that hummus is also the perfect spread for a colorful wrap or veggie sandwich. We couldn’t love this Classic Hummus dip/spread more!
From Classic to Novelty
One of the beauties of having a go-to hummus recipe is that you can always customize it for different occasions or seasons. From a classic to novelty with only a few extra steps or ingredients. Let’s see which options we have:
- Red Pepper Hummus: You can roast some red peppers in the oven (or stovetop!) and add them to the blender along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Green Pistachio Hummus: Say you scored a great deal of pistachios this week, time to add them to your blender and make some green hummus!
- Pink Hummus: If pink is what you’re after, then beets are your best friend! You can buy them pre-boiled at the grocery store and roast them with some olive oil in the oven before adding them to your blender.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- My favorite knives
- Garlic press
- Individual Bowls
- Can opener
- Medium Saucepan
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
- 1 (15-ounce) can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup of tahini
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Garnish: 1 tsp of Olive oil and ½ tsp of cumin
In a food processor or blender, blend all the ingredients on high until completely smooth.
To garnish drizzle the olive and sprinkle cumin on top.