These Lemon Asparagus with Caramelized Shallots are the perfect spring vegan side dish! Give it a try!
- 1 bunch of asparagus (mine had 17 spears), bottom inch cut off, and tough skin removed from about two inches below the tip on down
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of half a small lemon
- 1 teaspoon of neutral oil (canola, vegetable, grapeseed)
- Heat the oil and shallot in a large skillet over medium heat. When things start to sizzle, add the garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or so, until the shallot gets dark golden brown and starts to caramelize.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, and add the asparagus, let it cook a little, and toss it in everything to coat. Turn the heat back down to medium, add the lemon juice, cover the pan, and let it cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the asparagus bends a little when you pick it up, but not so much that it’s mush. (You want it cooked through and not crunchy and raw, but still with some firmness and bite.)
- Put it all onto a platter and serve.
Keywords: asparagus, vegan, vegetarian, lemon asparagus, grilled asparagus, vegan side, spring recipe, spring side dish