Pita Panzanella Salad2012-07-05
- Servings : 4 as a side, 2 as a meal
- Prep Time : 5m
- Ready In : 5m
The pita bread we buy is preservative-free and I find that if we don’t eat it within a couple days, it starts to stale. So I tossed the last two into a panzanella salad, in lieu of the crusty bread that is traditionally used.
It’s tomato season at the farmer’s market and on Saturday I picked up two huge bags for $3 apiece. Teamed with homegrown shallots and a couple grocery store items, this is a simple hot-weather meal that comes together for well under a dollar per serving.
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and sliced into wedges
- 1/2 English cucumber, cubed
- one shallot, sliced thinly
- 2 pitas, cubed
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Italian parsley, chopped (optional)
In medium mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, shallot and pitas.
Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss well.
Divide into serving dishes and optionally garnish with chopped parsley.