- Yield : 2 pies
- Servings : 8-16
- Prep Time : 45m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:40 h
There is nothing more tummy warming than a big slice of vegetable pot pie. This crowd pleaser does take a bit of time, but it is well worth it. I would recommend doubling the recipe and making four pies. You can freeze these for about 6 months!
- 10-12 medium red potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (I like rough chops, you may prefer a fine chop)
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 6 cups diced vegetables of your choice (choose 3 or 4 from among cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, leeks, peas, corn kernels, zucchini, kale, etc.)
- ¼ cup tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 ½ tbs adobo seasoning (or Mrs. Dash)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Two 9-inch prepared pie crust
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Smoked Paprika for topping
Cut the potatoes into sixths. Boil until fork tender, mash them coarsely leaving many large potato bites (you want that, trust me). Set aside until needed.
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the garlic, adobo seasoning, sage, parsley, Italian seasoning and 1 cup vegetable broth. Reduce the broth by half. Add the bouillon cubes and the remaining broth, reduce by half. Sprinkle the flour into the onion/broth mixture. Add the nutritional yeast. Cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly until the liquid thickens.
Add the vegetables of your choice, to the potatoes and mix well. Add the parsley.
Add the onion/spice/ broth mixture to the potatoes. Mix well.
Spoon the finished mixture into 2 frozen 9” (or freshly made if you have the patience, I don’t). The mixture will heap over the top. Sprinkle with smoked paprika, salt and bread crumbs.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Allow the pie to sit for 20 minutes before serving.