These Southwest Stuffed Peppers are so easy to prepare and perfect for a fancier occasion! Play around with the filling and add anything you like.
- 1 cup of uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 1 (14-ounce) can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups of water + 3 tablespoons of water, divided
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (1.25-ounce) packet of your favorite taco seasoning
- 4 large green bell peppers
- In a large non-stick pot over medium-high heat, add brown rice and onion. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften and become translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, 2 cups of water, and chili powder to rice. Cover, lower heat to a simmer and let cook until water is absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C).
- While rice is cooking, cut tops off of bell peppers and remove seeds. Place the peppers in a large pot of boiling water. Let boil until the peppers become light green and soft. Remove from water and place the peppers in a small pan.
- Place beans in a non-stick pan, add taco seasoning, and 3 tablespoons of water. Mix well, and add cooked rice mixture. Continue to cook until beans are warm.
- Scoop rice and bean mixture into bell peppers. Place them in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with your favorite taco sauce or salsa.
Keywords: stuffed peppers, vegan stuffed peppers, vegan side, vegan appetizer