As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a recipe for my cheater kimchi. It may not be authentic, but it’s easy, inexpensive and tasty!
A tablespoon of chili sauce will give the kimchi a kick, but add the second tablespoon if you like it extra spicy.
- 1 head napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons of sriracha hot chili sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Chop napa cabbage into bite-size pieces. (Or a bit larger/smaller, whatever you prefer.)
- In a large colander, toss with kosher salt. Set colander in sink and allow cabbage to drain and tenderize for two hours.
- After two hours, rinse and dry cabbage well, squeezing out any excess water.
- In a large bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, sugar, chili sauce, and garlic. Add chopped green onions. Add cabbage and mix well.
- Store in the fridge (I used two quart jars.) Kimchi can be eaten immediately but will be even better after a few hours in the fridge.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.