- I know I have a biased opinion, but I really believe that our free meal plans are the best place to start. They give a shopping list, a $25 per person per week food budget, and provide tasty meals. Also, be sure to check out plantbasedmealplan.com for the higher quality options. And sign up for the free weekly recipe that we send out every Friday.
- Want to try out some recipes that your non-veg family will love? Here are a few that mine like to eat: Lentil Tacos, Banana Kale Smoothie, Orange Ginger Tofu, “Tuna” Salad, Zucchini Potato Casserole, Chocolate Pie
- Cookbook recommendations: two cookbooks I have written are Plant-Based on a Budget and The Friendly Vegan Cookbook. I also really like Vegan Casseroles by Julie Hasson, Salad Samurai by Terry Hope Romero, Cook the Pantry by Robin Robertson, and The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.
- New to cooking from scratch? Check out our Cooking 101 series where we teach you how to mince garlic, cook brown rice, and more.
- If you’re having a hard time letting go of dairy, Michelle Cehn and Allison Rivers Samson created an amazing resource called the Dairy Detox. It’s usually a $47 course that they are offering Plant Based on a Budget audience for only $10!
Health and Nutrition:
- When starting a plant-based journey, it’s best to begin with your doctor. If you’re searching for a new one, this is a great site to help you find a plant-based practitioner.
- Don’t have healthcare insurance but want to check on your health? HealthLabs.com has a great blood testing service for an affordable price. They also have an initiative to help make it easier for vegans or aspiring vegans to stay healthy! “plant-based” gets you 25% off of their vegan services.
- To stay current on the latest in plant-based medicine or to find out info on soy/ where to get your protein/ etc., subscribe to NutritionFacts.org. Dr. Greger breaks down medical information in a way that’s understandable and entertaining.
- Dr. G also has a great book called How Not to Die, which is a New York Times bestseller.
- Here are the vitamins that I buy: B-12 & vegan D3.
- We’ve got a great article called Plant-Based (and pregnant!) on a Budget by Josie Steiger. And you can check out this podcast episode.
- Have questions about parenting or pregnancy? Try asking them in this Facebook support group.
- Here are some highly rated books on Amazon: The Kind Mama by Alicia Silverstone, The Secrets Of Vegan Baby Nutrition: A Healthy Recipes Guidebook For Babies by Nataly Shvinkelstain, Plant-Powered Families by Dreena Burton, But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan! by Kristy Turner, Forks Over Knives Family by Alona Pulde.
- Here’s a great article about long-distance running and Scott Jurek (with recipes) in Runner’s World. You can also buy his book Eat & Run.
- Check out this sample meal plan for bodybuilders.
* Please note that some of these affiliate links and Plant-Based on a Budget may earn a small commission to pay for the upkeep of this website.