Coconut Curry Soup2013-02-03
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 40m
A couple years ago my dear friend Gretchen shared this recipe with me and it is now a go-to in my home. I love that every ingredient is interchangeable. You can replace the rice with couscous or quinoa, throw in whatever veggies you’ve got on hand and you can mix up the spice level to suit your palate.
Here’s my favorite version! Let me know how you make yours.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kennels
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 6 cups vegetable broth (I used 4 bullion in cups water)
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (garnish)
In a medium-large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell peppers; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, corn, cumin, curry powder, and black pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Average Member Rating
(3.7 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe