As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Talk about flavor! This combo of fresh veggie-based “pasta” & lightly fried bean balls is truly a winner! The second I bit into this dish I was in love and it’s now a go-to staple of mine for quick and easy eating on a budget that won’t break the bank. You can even make these in bulk, omit the breadcrumbs and freeze a batch for future meals!
Black Bean 'Meatballs'
- 15 ounces of Black Beans
- 1 cup of Oat Flour (oats ground up)
- 1 cup of Rolled Oats
- Bread Crumbs (optional)
- Oil (optional, if you fry them)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Flax Seeds (ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of Onion powder
- Heat a medium-sized skillet to medium-high heat or preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (options for frying or baking, your choice).
- In a food processor pulse oats & flax seeds (if whole, not ground) till slightly chunky powder. Set aside in a medium bowl.
- Drain your black beans and rinse till water runs clear, fill your can back up with water (with the beans still in the can) and pour it all into your food processor. Pulse till smooth.
- Combine your rolled oats (blended and regular), bean purée and seasonings till fully incorporated, let rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Portion out 1 in. scoop balls and roll in bread crumbs for an even coat. Fry about 2-3 minutes on each side, rotating/flipping every couple minutes till dark golden brown all over. Or bake for 6-8 minutes, flip and repeat.
- Serve with warm marinara and/or over veggie pasta, enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.