As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
From the author, Miranda Rivera: These guacamole skins are one of the first dishes I made when I was little and that also happens to be plant-based! It’s filling as your main course, with a side salad, or just as a side dish to take to someone’s house! These are very warm and comforting. Enjoy!
From Plant-Based on a Budget: This Guacamole Skins recipe is the marriage of our two biggest food loves: potatoes and avocados. Match made in heaven? Yes, one hundred percent! These are the perfect appetizer to prepare for a Super Bowl night or a fun 4th of July kick-off. And don’t be worried, you won’t be eating the avocado skin. We got your back!
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- Vegan butter to spread (oil works, too)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup salsa we chose Pace
- Store-bought or homemade guacamole
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Bake 4 potatoes in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and allow them to cool for 15 minutes (or until you can safely touch them), turn the oven to broiler (high), and slice lengthwise and hull potatoes, leaving ¼” of pulp remaining on all sides of the skins.
- Place the potatoes in the oven to broil, cut-side up, for 5 minutes. Turn over, spread vegan butter on the bottom of the skins, and add a pinch of salt to each potato. Broil for 10 minutes, flip over and broil for another 5 minutes. Make sure to monitor closely while broiling. If you notice any burning, flip over sooner.
- Remove the potatoes from the over and stuff with guacamole.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.
Our love affair with guacamole cannot come as a surprise, it has been going for years and it only gets stronger with time (and recipes like this one!). Prepping your favorite guacamole is such a simple thing, the only must is having delicious and ripe avocados. Our go-to recipe is this one, but you can add or skip anything you like.
It seems redundant to stress the million ways you can enjoy yummy guacamole, but we won’t miss an opportunity to discuss the topic, right? As a dip, pair it with nachos, pita chips, fresh veggies (like celery, carrots, red peppers, mushrooms, or crunchy broccoli), and beyond. As a spread, in your favorite burrito, as topping to lentil tacos, as a key component of your rainbow veggie bowl. So many amazing possibilities, try them all because guacamole goes with everything (almost everything!).
Fill Up Your Potato Skins
These potato skins are not only easy to make but incredibly versatile when it comes to what you can fill them with. Guacamole is just the beginning, use your imagination and let that plant-based foodie inside you free!
Photos by Alfonso Revilla