Mushroom Orzo Soup2012-11-08
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
There’s just something so satisfying about a hot bowl of soup on a chilly day. This soup is simple and delicious; earthy, meaty mushrooms are combined with tender orzo in a flavorful and soothing broth. If you don’t have orzo on hand, any small pasta shape will do just fine. It’s important to serve this soup immediately after it’s made because the orzo will soak up quite a bit of liquid if it sits around too long.
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup of diced yellow or red onion
- 3 cups of sliced white or button mushrooms
- 7 cups of water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon of dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon of dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt, plus more to taste, if desired
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of uncooked orzo
- 1 packed cup of thinly sliced kale leaves
Preheat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and onions and cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms, cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Next add the water, bay leaf, rosemary, marjoram, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
Add orzo and kale, lower the heat to medium then simmer for 12-15 minutes, until orzo is tender. Remove Bay leaf and serve immediately.
Average Member Rating
(4.9 / 5)
20 people rated this recipe