As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
From the author: I’m not gonna lie – this Tofu Fillets with Tomato Herb and Sauce turned out better than I thought it was going to. I modified a chicken dish from Bon Appetit, and I’m already craving more after devouring the entire dish in one sitting.
It’s a pretty simple dish with a lot of different flavors, but the charred cherry tomatoes add this great burst of tang that really made the meal complete. I put it with a little pasta but it could easily be served by itself.
From Plant-Based on a Budget: These Tofu Fillets with Tomato Herb Sauce are packed with flavor and have an unmistakable Italian flair. From the garlic, vegan butter, oregano, and tomatoes get ready to try the most delicious pizza-flavored tofu fillets ever.
Pasta’s Best Friend
Because of the very Italian flavors of these tofu fillets, they make for a perfect match for any pasta. Either spaghetti, penne, or macaroni will do this tofu recipe justice, and you’ll get to indulge in a super delicious meal without much effort at all.
You could also eat these Tofu Fillets with Tomato Herb Sauce on a bread spread with basil pesto, or in a slice of pita bread and some chopped spinach. This recipe is versatile like that, you can transform it into a comforting dinner meal or in an on-the-go take-along lunch.
The More Herbs The Better
We always encourage the use of a wide variety of herbs in plant-based cooking! They are affordable, add so much flavor, and have a wide variety of medicinal benefits. Surprisingly though, our favorite part isn’t eating them but growing them.
If you don’t have a large garden and only count on a windowsill or a small patio, you can always grow aromatic herbs like thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, or mint. It will not only be fun but also very calming in grounding. Give it a try and let us know how you got on!
Looking for More Italian Themed Recipes?
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Tofu Fillets with Tomato Herb Pan Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon of paprika any paprika will work
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 16-ounce block of tofu, sliced
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a bowl, mash together the butter, garlic, oregano, and paprika. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large frying pan or skillet, add half of the mixture and melt on medium heat. Add the tofu filets, with a dash of salt and pepper, and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5-7 minutes a side. Remove from heat and set aside, covered.
- Increase the heat to high and add the cherry tomatoes. Cook them, stirring occasionally, until they begin to char and burst. Add the rest of the margarine mixture to the pan and slightly crush the tomatoes to release the juice. Season with salt and pepper and cook them for another minute or two, allowing the mixture to melt and mix with the tomatoes.
- Serve the tofu alone or with pasta, top with the tomato sauce and garnish with the parsley.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.