As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a simple, hearty meal full of tasty immunity-boosting alliums (red onion, garlic, and chives). This delicious Vegetable Rice Pilaf will give you an energy boost and help prevent those persistent colds that start appearing this time of year. It makes quite a bit of food, so set some aside for later and save yourself some cooking time.
Get creative with which veggies you use, whatever you have on hand will work. The power of simple fresh ingredients and a few spices….Keep it easy, guys!
With this easy rice pilaf recipe, your weeknight dinners or bustling lunches won’t get so complicated ever again. Or maybe you’re looking for a nutritious side dish for your main course, this brown rice pilaf is all you need! All the ingredients in this meal are found in your kitchen undoubtedly.
This delicious Black Bean and Onion Pilaf are a bit like a vegetable paella and it has so many amazing flavors! It is one of those one-pan wonders and we think it will come in handy whenever you’re lacking inspiration but hunger is abundant. Packed with healthy veggies and grains, it is a family-approved recipe and one we think you should add to your weekly repertoire.
This rice is heavenly with its immeasurable flavor that’s been poached to perfection mixed with the bell peppers – it’s definitely a drool-worthy dish! The perfect rice pilaf is less than an hour away from being enjoyed!
What is Vegetable Rice Pilaf?
Originated in Persia, pilaf has spread all over the world over time and has become a common meal in places like the Middle East, Latin America, Indonesia, and Spain. It refers to a preparation of rice (or other wheat-based grain) cooked in broth with vegetables and other ingredients typical to the place where it’s being prepared.
Can I Buy Plant-Based Broth?
Absolutely! There are many brands out there that have fully plant-based broths available like Better Than Bouillon, Edward and Sons, Knorr, and more. If you can’t find them easily or you simply want to use your leftover veggie scraps you can make your own with our Homemade Vegetable Broth recipe which is great because you can flavor it however you like.
Vegan Rice Pilaf
In just a couple of minutes, you can have a homespun black bean rice pilaf that is glorious next to a regular dinner meal or a side dish for an important event. Aside from that, it’s totally the go-to healthy and nourishing dish you can pick up on days where you’re feeling unwell.
This vegan and vegetarian rice pilaf is hands down the most undemanding and most flavorsome recipe we’ve ever made and we want you all to try this out for yourself! One taste and you’ll be addicted for a long time.
More Rice-Based Recipes?
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Delicious Vegetable Rice Pilaf
- 1 tablespoon of oil of choice
- 1 medium red onion chopped (reserve 2 tbsp, finely chopped, for topping)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4-5 crimini (or button) mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup of bell pepper chopped (optional)
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- 1 cup of brown rice jasmine, long grain, short grain, basmati – all ok
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- ½ cup of green onions or chives chopped
- 1 cup of greens, chopped swiss chard, kale, collard greens, or spinach
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast optional, but tasty
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- In a deep skillet, add the oil and saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms, pepper, and carrot for 2-3 minutes. Add rice and stir 30 seconds until glossy. Add vegetable broth, bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Add the chives and greens to the pan, along with black beans, salt, chili powder, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. Stir well and cover for 2-3 minutes to let beans and greens heat through. Plate and top with finely chopped red onion.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.