Hot and Sour Soup2012-06-13
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 40m
Below is my take on the very simple and affordable “Hot and Sour Soup.”
Feel free to mix in any vegetable you want, I kept mine simple using what vegetables I had laying around. This is a great clean-out-the-refrigerator soup!
Photo by Alfonso Revilla
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 ½ cups of shredded carrots
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) tub extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 (3/4-inch) piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. When the onions become tender and translucent, add the cabbage, carrots, tomatoes and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
While the cabbage is simmering, cut the tofu into bite-size pieces. Add the tofu and the remaining ingredients to the pot. Cook over high-heat until the soup begins to boil. Once it begins to boil, lower the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Serve hot! Add fresh pepper to each serving.
Average Member Rating
(4.2 / 5)
13 people rated this recipe