As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 1/4 cups vegan margarine or vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup water or more as needed
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/3 pound fresh or frozen strawberries
- 3/4 cup sweetener of choice
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 375. If you are using fresh strawberries and rhubarb, slice into small pieces and place in a small mixing bowl.
- Add in the sweetener, flour, salt and mix. Set in aside.
- In another larger mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt together. Using your fingers add in the margarine or shortening (using margarine will give your crust a better flavor, but shortening will give it a flakier feel).
- Add in the water and kneed together until you have a nice consistency. You may need to add more water if it is too floury.
- Pull out 2/3 of the dough. Using a rolling pin (or wine bottle if you're in a pinch) roll out the dough and place in a 9 inch pie crust.
- Using your fingers, make little rivets in the crust to give it that classic feel and add the filling into the pie. Be sure not to over fill!
- Take the rest of the dough and roll out. Using a butter knife, cut into 6 strips (see above). Place the strips over the pie, making a criss cross pattern (also see above).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is browned. Let stand for about 15 minutes and serve. Tastes great with some non-dairy ice cream!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.