As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This sauce is a universal crowd pleaser, with few ingredients (and easy to find ones at that), you simply set it on the stove and let it simmer away until serving. Earthy and hearty this is a go-to sauce for spaghetti, as a filling for vegan lasagna, or spooned over steamed veggies. The walnuts give a significant boost of healthy fats, oils and protein, while lending a “meatiness” and flavor that is unsurpassed. This recipe makes quite a large batch, so feel free to half it or freeze some for a later date.
Homestyle 'Meaty' Tomato Sauce with Lentils and Walnuts
- 1 cup of yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 28 ounces of diced tomatoes
- 6 ounces of tomato paste
- 3 cups of water
- 1 1/2 cups of green lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of brown sugar (optional)
- 1 cup of crushed walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons of oregano (fresh or dried)
- 1 Tablespoon of medium-high heat oil (canola, avocado, grape seed, etc)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a very deep skillet, or medium pot on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, lentils, and brown sugar and stir well. Let simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes, until lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Add crushed walnuts, salt, pepper, and oregano and stir well. Serve over pasta of choice, or use as a sauce filling in your next veggie lasagna.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.