As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This egg-less frittata gets mixed in a bowl, poured in a pan, and baked until crispy and golden. Filled with veggies and completely versatile, it’s the ultimate vegan breakfast. It’s good hot, warm, room temperature and cold. It’s flavored with simple but key spices, and brightened (and nutritionally heightened) by fresh herbs.
As is often the case with my recipes, I’ve pulled from different culinary traditions to come up with this one; Persian, Italian, Indian too. It’s truly a melting pot of deliciousness and makes a great brunch dish. I hope it becomes one of your go-to recipes, as it has become mine.
Veggie and Herb Frittata (Egg free, Soy free, Gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 cups of chickpea flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black salt (gives egg flavor; it's pink, not actually black! Available in Indian grocery stores or spice stores; if not available leave out)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of dill, dried or freshly chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 cup of swiss chard, finely chopped
- 1 cup of onion or shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil (1 in mix, 1 in pan, 1 on top 5 min before done)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1 Tbsp of olive oil in cast iron pan (recommended, if you have one), or cake pan. The darker in color and wider the better. I used my 12′ wide cast iron skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients chickpea flour through cayenne pepper and stir. Add water and whisk until no lumps remain. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and let the batter rest while you chop veggies.
- Add chopped greens, herbs, and sliced onions to batter. Stir well and pour into prepared dish. Bake for 20-30 minutes uncovered until batter is set, and top is beginning to crack and brown a bit. Drizzle top with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and gently brush on. return to oven for 5 more minutes. Remove and let cool a bit before slicing and serving. Serve alone, with a green salad, and with any condiments of choice.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.