As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Turn those freshly-picked apples into this delicious Vegan Apple Pie brimming with a lusciously spiced homemade apple filling nestled in a flaky melt-in-your-mouth crust! A classic, heartwarming comfort food ideal for holiday dinners, special occasions, or whenever you’re craving a sweet treat.
Homemade Vegan Apple Pie
There is nothing like the crisp, chilly weather signifying the upcoming holiday festivities that puts me in the mood for apples, cinnamon, and baking! Apple Crumble, Apple cake, Apple Cinnamon Bread, Stuffed Baked Apples, and Apple Cranberry Crisp are just some of the few that we love! But, of course, we can never ever let the season pass without a good ‘ol Apple Pie! Just the thought of freshly baked, homemade apple pie is enough to instantly bring warmth, comfort, and cheer! Make this traditional holiday dish using this simple and straightforward recipe.
Turning this classic pie into a vegan dessert is so simple and does not require any special ingredients at all.
- Cooking apples – Use apples that are firm enough to hold their form during the cooking process for the perfect apple filling. Honey Gold, Jonathan, Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith are just a few types that are great for baking.
- Fresh lemon juice – Aside from giving the filling a bright and fresh taste, lemon juice also protects the apples from oxidation, which keeps the slices from turning brown and unappetizing. If you do not have fresh lemons, canned lemon juice will do.
- Sugar – We used both granulated sugar and brown sugar for this recipe. Aside from adding sweetness and caramel-y tones to the filling, it will help thicken it.
- Flour – will give the filling the perfect consistency. You can also use cornstarch, however, make sure you use half of the amount in the recipe.
- Spices – cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg are the perfect fall spices that will give the pie its characteristic warm and comforting flavors!
- Pre-made pie crust – Make sure to check on the package information for a dairy-free and eggless crust.
How to Make the Best Apple Pie
With their sweet filling and crisp crust pastry, apple pies are real delightful treats. This vegan version is just as delicious as the traditional. Here are the steps to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take the pre-made pie crust from the fridge and should bring it to room temperature.
- Peel, de-core and slice the apples into equal pieces.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl – sliced apples, lemon juice, both sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Lay the pie crust on a pie pan and pour the filling.
- Cover the pie with the remaining pie crust and seal. Score the top for ventilation.
- Bake it for 50 minutes. Allow at least 3 hours for the pie to settle before serving.
Tips when Making Apple Pie
- Slice your apples evenly to make sure that they all bake uniformly inside the crust.
- Creating a vent on top of the pie is very important. It ensures that the steam from the filling is release as it bakes. This will result in an evenly cooked, golden pie crust!
- Make sure to measure the flour correctly. Adding too much will make the filling dry while adding too little can make the apple pie soggy. Toss the ingredients together well and let it sit for a few minutes. Do not include the juices when you pour the mixture into the pie crust to ensure it does not get mushy.
- This filling recipe yields enough for a deep-dish apple pie. If your pie plate is small, you might want to cut the number of apples in half.
- Before slicing, the filling should be room temperature or cold for optimal results. Cooling the pie allows the liquid within to thicken even more, preventing it from dripping into a pool when you cut into it.
Fizz up your Apple Pie!
- Add your favorite dried fruit like raisins, dates, or figs. Most dried fruits will also have a fair amount of sweetness, so use less sugar than usual and taste the filling to adjust the sweetness level to your preference.
- Chopped nuts on your pie will work well too. Walnuts and pecans can give the pie an extra texture.
- Serve with a dollop of vegan ice cream or cool whip on top while still warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which apple variety I can add? Sweet apples that don’t turn to be mushy after baking are my favorite. They might be crisp or soft, but they must have a sweet flavor. Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples are ideal choices if you want your apple pie filling tart. Honeycrisp, Braeburn, and Pink Lady are some delicious apple varieties to consider.
- What can I do if my pie is too sweet? If your pie filling is a little too sweet for your liking, try adding more lemon juice to balance it out.
- Why pre-made pie crust? To save time, you can use a store-bought pie crust instead of making your own. However, if you want to start from scratch, go ahead and do so.
- Do I need to pre-cook the apple filling? It may be helpful to put the apple slices in a large pan with a lid and cook in low heat for about 10 minutes until the apples start to become tender and release their juices. Don’t include the juice released by the apples in step 2.
Baked apple pies can stay at room temperature for up to 2 days. Make sure they are covered with foil or plastic wrap loosely if the pie has been sliced. For longer storage, keep in the refrigerator for another 2-3 days. To freeze, cover the pie snugly in aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place it in a freezer bag. For optimal results, consume the pie within 3-4 months of freezing.
Unbaked pies: Wrap the unbaked pastry tightly in aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap before freezing, or place it in a freezer bag and seal it tightly. For best results, keep unbaked apple pies in the freezer for up to four months. Cut vent holes in the upper crust and place the pie on a cookie sheet when ready to bake.
More Vegan Pie Recipes
- 4-Ingredient vegan chocolate pie
- Silken chocolate peppermint pie
- Pineapple pie
- Banana cream pie
- Apple pear pie
- Pumpkin chocolate pie
- Vegan peach pie
- Strawberry rhubarb pie
- Strawberry blueberry pie
- Zucchini mock apple pie
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Vegan Apple Pie
- 10 cooking apples peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 whole pre-made pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees C. Bring crust to room temperature (follow instructions on the box to prepare).
- In a large bowl, mix sliced apples, lemon juice, both sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Place crust in a pie pan, fill with the apple filling. The apples should almost spill out.
- Cover the pie with the other crust. Pinch the edges to seal the pie. Cut a small slit in the top of the pie (this is very important for ventilation).
- Bake for 50 minutes. If the top of the pie begins to darken too much, remove from the oven, cover with foil, and place it back in the oven.
- Allow pie to sit for at least 3 hours before serving.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.