As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
From the author, Stefan: This mushroom pâté is a quick, easy, and tasty spread for crackers, bread, or sandwiches. Use whatever mushrooms look best (I used creminis, but would totally have gone for shiitakes if they’d been available), and other nuts can be used in place of the walnuts.
From Plant-Based on a Budget: Ready for the perfect appetizer and snack? Mushroom Pâte is a delicious and quick recipe that’s great for any get-together. Whether you’re hosting a book club, need an appetizer for a dinner party, or are looking for a truly tasty snack, this vegan mushroom pâte is a winner.
This dish originally comes from France and means “paste” in French. Ingredients are blended together to make a savory spreadable dip. If you’ve heard of pâte before, you may think of it as a fancy dish. Our recipe, though, uses straightforward ingredients and steps. We’re confident that anyone can prepare this appetizer and impress their guests.
What Is Mushroom Pâté Made of?
Our plant-based pâte is made with toasted walnuts along with sautéed mushrooms and shallots. Chinese Five-Spice powder is also added for an extra burst of flavor. You can use shitake or cremini mushrooms (or a combo), so feel free to use what you can find at your grocery store.
Don’t want to use walnuts? Any kind of nut will work in this recipe. Toast the other nuts in the oven the same way you’d toast the walnuts. Vegan mushroom pâte can be made with different herbs and spices, although we highly recommend trying it with the Chinese Five-Spice or cinnamon.
How to Make Mushroom Pâté
Mushroom pâte is an impressive but easy appetizer to make. Start by toasting walnuts. This brings out their natural oils and tones down any bitterness. The warm, toasty flavor is fantastic in this recipe.
Then sauté shallots and mushrooms to deepen their flavors. Once they are cooked, you’ll pulse the walnuts and mushroom mixture together with the seasonings in a food processor. Keep pulsing until you have a smooth walnut mushroom pâté.
How to Use Mushroom Pâté
Vegan pâté can be served warm or room temperature. Some people also like to serve it cold. It’s wonderful on crackers, warm crusty bread, or spread onto a sandwich. You can even dip veggies like carrots or sliced bell peppers into the walnut mushroom pâté.
How Do You Store It?
This appetizer can be served after you make it or you can prepare it the day before. If you make it ahead of time, be sure to store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. If you have leftover mushroom pâté, it will stay fresh in the fridge for up to five days.
Can You Freeze Mushroom Pâté?
You can freeze vegan mushroom pâté for up to three months. Be sure to store it in a freezer-proof container. You can also add a layer of plastic wrap or wax paper on top of the pâté before you snap on the container’s lid. This prevents ice crystals from forming on top. Once you’re ready to use the appetizer, transfer it to the refrigerator the night before to defrost.
More vegan appetizers:
- Guacamole Skins
- Homemade Vegan Mozzarella | Caprese Salad
- Buffalo Cauliflower Wings & Dip
- Bite-Sized Veggie Rollups
- Green Pistachio Hummus
- Sesame Potato Puffs
- Crispy Fried Tofu Wontons
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 shallot minced
- ½ pound mushrooms washed, dried, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon Chinese Five-Spice powder or cinnamon
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F/165 degrees C. When the oven is hot, put the walnuts in a pan, put them in the oven, and toast until fragrant, shaking occasionally, around 7 minutes. Transfer to a shallow bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the oil and the shallot in a skillet and turn the heat to medium high. Sprinkle with a little salt. When the shallot starts to sizzle, add the mushrooms and Five-Spice powder (or cinnamon), season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and browned, around 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to a food processor, add the walnuts, and process until you have a smooth pate. Transfer to a bowl and serve warm or at room temperature.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.