As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
From the author: My sweet tooth kicked in this week, so I whipped up a batch of this raspberry bread pudding goodness. Raspberries were on sale at the store for two cartons for $4, and I couldn’t pass up a deal on my favorite fruit. I also picked up a lemon and some apple sauce to supplement what I didn’t have at home.
From Plant-Based on a Budget:
We love simple and comforting recipes and this Raspberry Bread Pudding is one that we truly enjoy. It’s one of those recipes that evoke memories of your grandmother’s cooking, her way to make you feel loved and pampered. This sweet and tart berry bread pudding might be just what you need. Let’s dive right into it!
Tips For a Great Raspberry Bread Pudding!
First of all, don’t worry about perfection. With this recipe, rustic is a goal. The delicious mix of spongy dough and caramelized berries is what it’s all about. Imagine it a bit like a blueberry cobbler, the messier the yummier it is. You can try using other berries but we highly recommend trying it with raspberries at least once since they have a special tartness that goes so well with the sweet dough. Also, if you’re hesitant about when it’s fully cooked, insert a toothpick in the center and see if it comes out dry. If it does, it’s time to take it out of the oven.
Bread Pudding’s Best Companions
Once you have baked this red ruby goodness, it is time to think about toppings or add ons. One (amazing) choice is some creamy plant-based vanilla ice cream. The cold of the ice cream and the warmth of the pudding go so well together. Plus, the melting ice cream creates an incredible sauce with the juice of the raspberries which elevates this dessert to new heights. You can also top it with some vegetable-based whipped cream or simply chilled coconut cream. So good!
- Medium Saucepan
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring Cups
- 8×8-inch baking pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Spatula Set
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Raspberry Bread Pudding
- 1/3 cup of sugar for filling
- 1/2 cup of sugar for bread
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 2 cups of raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of applesauce
- 1/2 cup of plant-based milk (any variety)
- 1/2 cup of vegan melted margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together 1/3 cup sugar with water, lemon juice and cornstarch.
- Stir in the raspberries. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, milk, margarine, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, whisking until combined.
- Spoon batter into an 8x8-inch baking pan, spreading evenly with a spatula. Pour the raspberry mixture evenly over batter. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.