Creamy Brown Rice Risotto2017-02-15
- Course: Dinner
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 35m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 45m
I’ve only ever had risotto as a vegan while in Spain last spring and man was it a treat. As someone who eats a plant-based diet, rice is a staple food and I am always looking for new ways to incorperate it into my cooking. After countless tabs of research how to make proper rissoto, I threw much of what I had just learned out the window to create this quick and easy vegan version.
Traditional risotto contains arborio rice and usually a bit of white wine but I wanted a recipe that could be made on the fly with things I had lying around the house. The white bean blend pushes this recipe over the edge giving it its creamy consistancy. In addition to being easy, it was very quick to throw together; because I had already made the rice that morning, it took me all of 15 minutes to prepare and cook the whole thing.
If your one for a more traditional approach, by all means sub some of the veggie stock for white wine and use that arobrio rice (although I have not yet tested these swaps). However even with these swaps, the secret remains in the lovely creamy, cheezy bean puree.
Hope you enjoy!
*feedback welcome, as it is my first go at risotto 🙂
- 1 cup + 2 T vegetable stock
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (3.5-4 cups cooked)
- 8 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 -3 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can great northern or white beans
- 2 T nutritional yeast (can sub vegan parm)
- 1 t garlic powder
- Optional: parsley
1. Cook brown rice according to package ( boil 2 cups water per cup of rice then let simmer for 30-40 min)
2. Heat vegetable stock over medium heat in a small sauce pan
3. At the same time, combine beans, 1 T olive oil, 2 T veggie stock, 2 T nutritional yeast, and salt in a food processor until smooth (like hummus). Set aside.
4. In a large sauce pan, heat mushrooms with 1 or so tablespoons of olive oil with salt and pepper until lightly browned (3-4min.)
5. Once the mushrooms are cooked, reduce heat and add cooked brown rice. Then add the warmed vegetable stock and let simmer for 4-5 minutes. Once the time is up, add bean puree to the pan and thoroughly combine (note: you may not need to use the entire amount of puree, it is up to your discretion.) Add garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Once risotto is thickened to your liking, remove from heat, top with parsly and serve. Enjoy!
Average Member Rating
(3.7 / 5)
9 people rated this recipe