- Servings : 4 - 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
My grandmothers gumbo was one of my favorite things to eat before switching to a plant based diet. I think I have finally got it down though! You can change up what you want in the gumbo. I use Tofurkey Sausages but you could use something else if you like. This makes enough to feed about 6 people. Serve it over rice or with bread. It is a little more pricey per serving, but it is a great meal for a dinner party. Enjoy!
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $1.75 -@2.50
- 3 Cups of Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup of Beer (substitute broth if you do not want to use beer.)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 Celery Ribs, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Can of Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Can of White Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Cup of Diced Mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons of Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons of Cajun Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon of Liquid Smoke
- 2 Teaspoons of Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Cayenne
- Veggie Sausages (optional)
Add teaspoon of oil to a large pot. When oil heats, add flour.
Stir the flour until it starts to brown. Do not let the flour turn black or you will have to start over.
After flour turns brown, add onion,garlic, celery, peppers, Cajun seasoning, paprika, and cayenne.. Cook for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, add tomato, broth, liquid smoke, bay leaves, and beer. Mix and bring to a boil.
After boiling, turn down heat. Add beans, mushrooms, and sausage, cover and let simmer for 25 minutes.
Serve gumbo over rice or by itself. Enjoy!
Average Member Rating
(3.4 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe