Rainbow Veggie Lentil Fried Rice2014-12-24
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 45m
This perfectly seasoned lentil fried rice is studded with a rainbow of fresh veggies, and makes a perfect protein rich dinner, or lunch the next day. It’s become one of our favorites for winter weeknight meals, as it’s easy, nourishing, comforting and colorful all at once. Change up the veggies used based on what you have on hand, just try to use as much color as possible. Fresh herbs like basil, mint, parsley or cilantro are nice additions as well, and add nutrition, color and flavor. Top with toasted nuts or seeds if you like, sesame, almonds, peanuts or cashews are all delicious crunchy additions. Enjoy!
- 1.5 cups rice (any variety will do, but long grain varieties are nice)
- 1 cup brown or green lentils (just not orange/red ones)
- 1 onion, or large shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1" piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup kale or spinach, chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs of choice; cilantro, basil, parsley, mint (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted nuts or seeds of choice; chopped cashews, almonds, peanuts, sesame seeds, etc (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp agave, sugar or sweetener of choice
- black pepper or cayenne pepper to taste
- 3.5-4 cups water, or more as needed
Begin by cooking your rice and lentils in the same pot. Just stir them together and add water, cover, bring to a boil, and lower to a simmer. Let cook undisturbed for 20-25 minutes until lentils are rice are both cooked through and water has been absorbed completely.
While rice is cooking, slice and chop all veggies and set aside. When rice is almost done, begin cooking veggies in the largest pan you have, a wok is perfect, if you have one.
Heat 1 Tbsp of sesame oil over medium-high heat and add onion, garlic and ginger. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until onion begins to soften and garlic is fragrant (stir frequently so garlic doesn't burn). Add carrots, mushrooms, and sweet potato. Stir fry for an additional 4-5 minutes until sweet potato begins to soften.
Add 1/2 Tbsp of sweetener, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper and 1 Tbsp of soy sauce (or substitute) and stir to combine. Add kale and cabbage and let simmer over medium heat until kale and cabbage have wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer veggies to a large bowl and season to taste.
When rice/lentils are done, use the same pan/wok and heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil over medium high heat. Add rice/lentils and stir fry with 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1/2 Tbsp sweetener, pinch of salt and pepper. Keep stirring and stir frying until rice and lentils begin to dry out a bit, if they get a little crispy, even better.
Add veggies back into pan with rice and lentils and toss well, add fresh herbs if using, and top with nuts/seeds before serving if desired. Season to taste as needed. Enjoy!