Yellow Tofu Curry2020-10-24
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
Who doesn’t love Thai food? It’s full of amazing flavors, colors, fragrant aromas, and it tends to be fairly budget-friendly. A true favorite. These are some of the reasons Michelle and I decided to share this incredible Yellow Tofu Curry recipe from The Friendly Vegan Cookbook, so we hope you love it as much as we do!
This yellow tofu curry is one of the 100 delicious recipes from my book, The Friendly Vegan Cookbook! I wrote this cookbook with my friend Michelle Cehn, founder of World of Vegan, and we are super excited to bring these easy to make plant-based recipes into your life. Grab your copy and enjoy!
Skip The Takeout
Usually, after a long day of work, family duties, and daily happenings, the last thing we want to deal with is cooking a meal (and everything that comes with it like washing up and cleaning the kitchen), so ordering food becomes very tempting. We feel you! The great news is that having easy and delicious recipes like this Yellow Tofu Curry might change your mind. Why?
- You can save the expense for something more rewarding in the future.
- You can make sure to use healthier and more wholesome ingredients.
- You can adjust the spices and salt to your liking.
- You can use up those sad-looking veggies inside your fridge.
Yellow Curry Paste
Most of the ingredients needed in this recipe are easy to find and very affordable, but there’s one that might not be in your pantry, the yellow curry paste. If you haven’t heard about this paste before, it’s usually made with lemongrass, cilantro, yellow chilies, garlic, and other fragrant spices. Make sure you choose one fully plant-based since some might contain fish sauce.
You should be able to find it in most grocery stores but if you have a hard time finding it in your local stores, you can try to order it online.
If you’d like to have firmer tofu, you can sauté it in 1 tablespoon of canola oil for 3 to 4 minutes before adding it in step 4. We hope you enjoy this delicious restaurant-worthy meal at home!
- Wooden Spoon
- Large Pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- My favorite knives
- Can opener
- Individual Bowls
Photos by Zhoro Apostolov
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄3 cup of yellow curry paste
- 2 (13.5-ounce) cans of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of red chili pepper flakes (adjust according to your spice preference)
- 2 cups of bite-sized broccoli pieces
- 1 (16-ounce) block of extra- firm tofu, drained and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 4–6 cups of cooked white or brown rice
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over mediumhigh heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrots, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until the bell pepper is tender.
Add the potatoes and curry paste and sauté for another 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour in the coconut milk, and stir in the brown sugar, salt, and red chili pepper flakes.
Bring to a boil and cover. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the broccoli and tofu and continue simmering, covered, for 15 more minutes.
Serve with the rice.