As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
An easy, healthy soup that is dairy and gluten-free!
This Easy Potato and Leek Soup Is:
- Full of delicious vegetables.
- Very creamy.
- Plant-based and vegan.
- Dairy and gluten-free.
- Easy to make and perfect for the whole family.
We have another amazing and comforting soup recipe to share with you! This Veggie-packed Potato Leek Soup is full of veggies, packed with flavor and deliciousness. Are you ready to add a perfect weekday meal to your repertoire? Let’s see how to prepare this rainy must-have!
What are Leeks?
Leeks have always been around but never truly considered for some reason. Probably because we don’t truly know how to cook them and to which preparations to add them, but they are not only delicious but packed with fantastic qualities.
From the onion family, leeks are long and green and full of layers. They have a milder and sweeter taste than onions, and the best part is they become nice and creamy when cooked (and this is what makes them so special and perfect for soups!). Leeks also contain a particularly mighty component called kaempferol, which is a super-powerful antioxidant that can help prevent heart disease and certain types of cancer. They also have the same antimicrobial characteristics as garlic.
If you haven’t included leeks as part of your weekly diet, we encourage you to!
How To Make Any Soup Creamy
If you’re team creamy soup (or creamy, chunky soup!), then we have an amazing tip for you. Once everything is cooked to the desired consistency, you can use an immersion blender to puree half of it (or two-thirds if you like it even creamier!). This means you don’t need to use any thickening agents or plant-based creams. Pretty amazing, right? This trick is the key secret to our favorite corn chowder!
If you’re in the mood for an easy vegetable-packed soup that is super creamy, then this potato and leek soup is for you! Trust us, you will be going back for more! That is just how delicious this potato and leek soup is!
The Ingredients and Substitutes
- Neutral Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Onion: 1 large, diced (yellow is best)
- Garlic: 4 cloves, minced
- Carrots: 3, thinly sliced
- Zucchini: 1 large, chopped
- Leeks: 3, chopped
- Vegetable Broth: 8 cups
- Potatoes: 6 medium, chopped
- Lemon: juice of 1 small
- Sriracha: to taste (optional)
- Pepper: to taste
How to Make This Easy Vegetable-Packed Potato Leek Soup?
Keep scrolling to the recipe card for the complete list of ingredients and recipe instructions!
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Add the zucchini, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, zucchini, and leeks, and stir together.
- When the vegetables are sauteed, add the broth, potatoes, lemon juice, sriracha, and pepper. Turn heat to medium-low and let sit until veggies are soft – about 30 minutes.
- Puree ⅔ of the soup using an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender working in batches.
- Carefully combine the puree and veggies.
- Serve & Enjoy!
What Should I Serve with this Easy Leek Recipe?
This potato and leek soup is packed with vegetables and is delicious by itself, but you can also pair it with some of these items.
- Noodles: If you have some leftover noodles, you can serve the soup over them.
- Rice: We also suggest adding in rice. Swapping out noodles for rice is a great option for this soup. The rice will absorb the flavors of the soup, making it a delicious meal.
- Bread: This easy leek recipe also pairs well with dinner rolls or delicious homemade bread.
- Salad: A simple salad like this fall salad would pair very nicely with this leek soup.
Can I make this potato and leek soup easily be made in a slow cooker?
You can make this in a slow cooker, but I suggest you sautee your veggies beforehand.
Can I make this leek soup ahead of time?
Yes! To make this potato and leek soup ahead, simply cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
More Vegan Soup Recipes You’ll Love
If you love this potato and leek soup recipe, try one of these delicious soups next:
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Veggie-Packed Potato Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons of neutral oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 carrots thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks sliced
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 3 leeks chopped
- 8 cups of vegetable broth
- 6 medium potatoes chopped
- Juice of one small lemon
- Sriracha to taste (optional)
- pepper to taste
- Put a large pot on medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the zucchini, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, zucchini, and leeks, and stir together.
- When the vegetables are sauteed, add the broth, potatoes, lemon juice, sriracha, and pepper. Turn heat to medium-low and let sit until veggies are soft - about 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree ⅔ of the soup. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender working in batches.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.