As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Discover a quick and easy avocado spread that’s great for sandwiches, your breakfast avocado toast, or even a dip for chips or veggies. Made with just five ingredients and it’s ready in only five minutes.
This is one of the recipes to make when you’ve got some extra avocados lying around! But it’s so good, you might be willing to make a trip to the store to stock up on them so you can make it!
If you eat avocados as much as we do, you’re also going to love this tomatillo avocado salsa verde or this creamy avocado sauce! You can also use them to make avocado pesto or vegan chocolate pudding!
Why This Recipe Works
- A simple, healthy spread that’s perfect for sandwiches, topping off toast, or spreading on crackers.
- Avocados are full of healthy fats and make a great vegan substitute for dairy-based butter.
- Use it for meals or serve it up for gatherings and parties.
What Goes Into This Recipe
All you need are five simple ingredients to turn avocados into a tasty spread for toast and more! Here are the highlights!
- Avocados: Use ripe avocados for the creamiest texture. Avoid avocados with overly brown or soft spots. Have trouble choosing avocados at the store? Check out this guide to avocados for more!
- Miso paste: A vegan ingredient with superpowers!! It’s great for adding umami flavor to just about anything.
- Garlic powder: This pantry staple spice is easier than relying on fresh garlic in this recipe.
- Agave or maple syrup: Just a small amount to balance out the saltiness of the miso.
- Plant-based milk: Be sure to use unsweetened and avoid plant milk with any strong flavors. Its purpose is to thin out the avocado bread spread a bit. You can also use veggie broth or water.
- Spicy: Add some fresh chopped chilies, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper.
- Sneak in some veggies: Add some green peas, zucchini, spinach, or kale to the blender. In most cases, they will blend right in and no one will even know!
- ‘Cheesy’: Mix in one tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
How To Make Avocado Spread
Making this avocado spread recipe just takes one simple step!
- 1) Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until it’s creamy.
- 2) Taste and adjust the seasoning and consistency as desired.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Use ripe avocados.
- Taste before adding salt. Miso paste contains lots of salt and it might be enough for you.
- Be sure to store it in an airtight container and use some of the methods mentioned below for storing it to make it last longer.
Homemade avocado spread doesn’t last longer than 1-2 days because it is made without any preservatives and avocados are so delicate. It is freezable which means if you have too much you can store it to use in the future.
How to Store
- Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Freezer: Avocado spread without any additional ingredients added is great to store in the freezer to extend its shelf life. Place it in a well-sealed container and store it for up to one month.
How to Make Avocado Spread Last Longer
Unfortunately, avocados don’t last all that long as they turn brown very quickly and easily once cut and open. There are a few things you can do to help extend the time it will hold after making a batch.
- Add some acid. This can be a bit of vinegar or a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
- Store in a jar and add a shallow layer of oil on top of the avocado toast spread. When you’re ready to serve it you can drain it off or simply mix it into the spread.
- Add a layer of plastic wrap right up against the top of the spread in the container. This slows down air from reaching the top layer which means it won’t brown as quickly.
- Use these methods in combination with each other.
- If the top layer is a bit off in color, you can scrape it off before serving or simply mix it into the spread underneath. Usually, only the top layer turns brown.
Using these tips may help it last up to 2-3 days longer but it still won’t last as long as other ingredients.
How to Serve
- Breakfast toast: Add it on top of this homemade free-formed bread or pick up your favorite loaf at the store.
- Add it to sandwiches: Avocado sandwich spread is healthier than any vegan mayo! So use it instead on all your favorite vegan sandwiches.
- Use it as a dip for veggies!
- Goes great with crackers or chips. You can use storebought or make these homemade rosemary vegan crackers or vegan cheezy snack crackers.
- Makes a great sauce for grain bowls.
More Vegan Spreads and Dips
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Easy Avocado Spread
- 3 avocados
- 2 teaspoons of miso paste
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of agave or maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons of unsweetened plant-based milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.