Cozy Quinoa and Sweet Potato Chili2016-10-19
- Servings : 4-5
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 45m
Winter is fast approaching and the dropping temperatures can leave you feeling chili.
My aunt made me this chili about a month ago. When I recovered from my food coma, I begged for the recipe so I could make it for myself as soon as possible. After adapting it only slightly with the addition of quinoa, this warm pot of sweet and spicy goodness is sure to satisfy.
As for the spices in the recipe, they are all optional; you can play around and add or subtract them based on what you have or don’t have lying around in the kitchen. Regardless the final product will leave you feeling wonderFULL.
- 3 medium sweet potatos, cubed
- 1 Yellow or white onion, diced
- 16 oz jar of salsa
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cups of vegetable stock + 2 cups of water
- 1.5-2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1-3 tsp hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
1. In a large pot, heat onions in 1 Tbsp olive oil with a pinch of salt and pepper over medium heat.
2. Add sweet potatoes and spices.
3. Cook for 3-4min then add the salsa followed by the vegetable stock and water.
4. Bring the pot to a low boil on medium high heat then lower the heat to medium low to simmer.
5. Add black beans, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the sweet potatos can be penetrated easily by a fork and the soup is thickened.
6. Finally, stir in the quinoa.
7. It is recommended to let the chili rest for a few hours so flavors can fully meld together, otherwise, top with avocado and enjoy!
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
6 people rated this recipe