As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re looking for a creamy and comforting side dish, then this Vegan Scalloped Potatoes recipe means you’ve hit the jackpot.
Unlike your classic roasted potatoes, this recipe is more like a casserole which makes it a perfect preparation for special occasions and family dinners. The original recipe is made with heavy cream and onions mixed together, but this plant-based version skips the dairy and onions making it a much lighter version.
Why Vegan Scalloped Potatoes?
If you’re wondering why this recipe has this singular name, we are happy to clarify. Originally from England, this recipe is called Vegan Scalloped Potatoes because of the way this vegetable is sliced. It is basically very thinly sliced, which means not only that the potatoes are cooked faster but that the creamy mixture can enter the many layers and therefore, lets the flavor in everywhere.
So how do we achieve this so-called scalloped type slice? Thankfully, we have options to make our life easier:
Mandoline: This amazing invention is the perfect way to get those super thin slices of potatoes (or any other vegetable or fruit for that matter, like apples for a yummy dessert.) Its sharp blades allow for a perfect slice and you can have the 4 pounds ready in a few minutes.
Food Processor: Remember when you bought your (life-saving!) food processor and it came with all those weird discs you had no idea when you’d use them or what you’d use them for? Well, the time has come. Using the standard slicing blade you can replace the mandoline and skip the additional kitchen gadget.
By Hand: Yes, you read that right. You can go old school and slice your potatoes by hand. Using a very sharp kitchen knife you can slowly (and surely!) slice it as thin as you can, but, you should know they will never be as perfect as the slices you achieve when using one of the other gadgets above.
Keen on More Plant-Based Side Dishes?
- Zucchini Potato Casserole
- ‘Cheesy” Roasted Tahini Brussels Sprouts
- Guacamole Potato Skins
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Greenbean Casserole
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 pounds of russet potatoes rinsed and dried
- ¼ cup of vegan butter
- ¼ cup of flour
- 2 cups of plant-based milk
- 1 cup of rich vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup of nutritional yeast
- 1½ teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Thinly slice the potatoes into ⅛-inch rounds. I like to keep the peels on for nutrition and time-saving reasons, but you’re welcome to peel them first. If you have a mandolin or food processor attachment, that’ll save time.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Whisk in the flour and stir until the sauce thickens and becomes a roux, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk the plant-based milk and vegetable broth into the roux. Stir in the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt until the sauce thickens, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the casserole dish, pour half of the sauce spreading evenly over the potatoes and allowing it to seep through the cracks. Layer the rest of the potatoes and spread the rest of the sauce over them evenly. Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and bake for another 35 minutes.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.