As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A friend and I were talking about different plant-based foods that could be smoked on a grill. I decided I would give some seitan a try. I was so stoked on the outcome, you have to try this one. It takes some time, and you will need a grill. You will also need wood chips to throw on the charcoal. Soak the wood chips in some wine, or juice for at least 45 minutes. The wine brings out even more of an aroma in the wood. Good luck!
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $.93
Smoked BBQ Seitan [Brisket Or Ribs]
- 1 1/2 cups of Vital Wheat Gluten
- 3 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons of Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons of Onion Powder
- 1 cup of Water
- 1/3 cup of Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons of Paprika
- 1 bottle of Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Mix vital wheat gluten, nutrional yeast, 1 tablespoon of onion powder, and 1 tablespoon of garlic powder in a large bowl.
- In a different bowl mix water, 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce, and soy sauce.
- Combine water, BBQ, and soy sauce mix with the vital wheat gluten mix.
- The mixture will be wet and spongy. Knead for 3-5 minutes, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Stretch the dough into a 7-8 inch log. Cut into 3 equal pieces.
- Fill a large pot with cold water. Place seitan pieces into cold water. You should have enough water in the pot to cover the seitan pieces. Partially cover the pot, and bring to a boil. As soon as the seitan starts boiling, lower the heat to a simmer. Letting seitan cook in rabid boiling water will make it spongy.
- Let seitan cook for 1 hour. Remove and let cool.
- While seitan is cooking, mix onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, pepper cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- After seitan pieces have cooled, rub the spice mixture on the pieces.
- Place some charcoal in your grill on the left side. Heat up your coals.
- After coals are ready, placed the soaked wood chips on top of them. Close the lid and let the grill start to smoke.
- Add seitan pieces to the right side of the grill. Let them smoke for 35-40 minutes. The seitan will be crispy on the outside.
- Cover seitan pieces in BBQ sauce and let them sit on the grill for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from grill, slice and enjoy!
- Cooking time will vary: Based on the size of the seitan pieces. I.e., bite-sized pieces can cook in as little as 15-20 minutes, whereas one large loaf may take up to 80 minutes. It’s ready when the internal temperature reaches 190F/88C.
- Don’t leave the seitan boiling: Otherwise, it’ll be puffy, watery, and spongey. Instead, reduce the heat to a simmer as soon as it starts boiling for a dense, chewy, tender-like consistency.
- For the best texture: If you have time, leave it to rest for up to 24 hours after boiling before moving on to the next steps.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.