As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When I was first transitioning to a plant-based diet, this was one of my staple meals. It’s really easy to throw together and reeeeally cheap to make. It’s also great for leftovers. It’s oil free and packed with nutrients.
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $.50
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup of diced yellow onion
- 15 ounces of fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons of curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh or powdered ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 kale stalks, stem removed
- 1/8 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 450 farenheit.
- Mix cinnamon, cumin, ginger, and 1 tablespoon of the curry in a bowl. Toss chickpeas in seasoning.
- Place chickpeas on a non stick baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes.
- While chickpeas are cooking, heat garlic and onion in a nonstick pan for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add fire roasted tomatoes, water, and 1 tablespoon of curry powder. Cover and continue to cook.
- Place kale in a food processor, and pulse until kale is in small pieces. You can also do this by hand if you do not have a food processor.
- Add kale, and chickpeas to the curry and tomato mix. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve over rice or put it in a pita.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.