As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Someone gave us a whole bundle of rhubarb and since we made a pie last week, we started research/brainstorming for savory rhubarb dishes. We were able to compile a few different recipe ideas we found online into something quick, tasty, and healthy. You should be able to find rhubarb in the fresh or frozen section of any supermarket. It is better fresh, but frozen will work in the winter months or in a pinch. If you can’t locate any, this dish will stand on its own and is definitely worth making sans rhubarb. Also, there is a lot of spices in this but if you don’t have many of them, it’s ok to omit them except for the curry, brown sugar, cumin, and of course salt/pepper. It will also save you money to leave out some of the more rare spices and will still taste good, just not as tasty!
Curry Lentils with Rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups of dried lentils
- 2 stalks of rhubarb
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large sweet potato or yam
- 5 stalks of red chard
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of curry
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon of cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of mustard seed
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of ground ginger
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- In a saucepan boil the lentils and 4.5 cups of water and one bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Slice the sweet potato and boil in another saucepan for about 20 minutes.
- While the lentils and sweet potato are boiling, cut up the garlic, red pepper, rhubarb and chard.
- After lentils and the potato are down, heat the olive oil, mustard seed, and garlic in a medium pan. Cook until mustard seeds start to pop. Add in the rhubarb and peppers.
- Slice the sweet potato into cubes and add to veggies. Add in the lentils and all spices, cook for about 7 minutes.
- Add in chard and cook until soft. Server by itself or with quinoa or rice.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.