As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is one of the simplest and tastiest dishes ever. Full of fresh vegetables, garlic, and a simple savory (optional) mushroom gravy. Very filling, nourishing and perfect for fall.
Garlic Baby Potato Bowl
- 1 pound of baby potatoes (the smaller the better)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, sliced
- 3 shallots or 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 small sweet peppers, or 1 bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup of peas, frozen are fine (optional plant protein!)
- salt and pepper to taste for veggies
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
Optional Simple Mushroom Gravy
- 2 Tablespoons of medium-high heat oil (avocado, canola, grape seed, refined coconut)
- 4 crimini or white button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of all purpose flour of choice (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 Tablespoon of rosemary, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup of water, or as needed to achive nice smooth gravy consistency
- Wash baby potatoes and place in a medium pot and just cover with water. Bring to a boil, and let them cook until tender and easily pierced with a knife (10-20 minutes depending on size). When done, drain water, return to pot and toss with olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- While potatoes are cooking, saute sliced veggies in a skillet over medium high heat. You can cook them in a bit of oil, or dry cook them, as you prefer. Start with the shallots (or onion), let them cook for 3-4 minutes until they begin to brown slightly. Add the peppers and the zucchini, cook for another 5 minutes or so until they begin to lose their water. Add the peas, if using and season with salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.
- For the mushroom gravy: heat the 2 Tbsp of oil over medium-low heat in a sauce pan or skillet. Add mushrooms and let cook until drying out a bit and beginning to brown, usually 3-4 minutes. Add the flour and stir to combine, cooking another minute or so in the flour, stirring to prevent burning. Add the remaining ingredients, salt (to taste) through water. Stir well and let cook until thick and bubbly. It comes together quickly and has a great savory mushroom flavor. Adjust flavorings and consistency as you see fit.
- Top baby potatoes with sauteed veggies and a generous helping of mushroom gravy. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.