As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Simple, delicious, and filling. This Sushi bowl takes most the work out of sushi, but leaves all of the taste. Add pieces of nori seaweed, slices of ripe avocado, thinly sliced carrot or cucumber, crispy tofu, or even skip the rice and serve it all on a bed of greens. The possibilities are endless. Here is our take. Enjoy!
Simple Sushi Bowl
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 3/4 cups of water
- 1/2 pound of shiitake, crimini, or white button mushrooms (or combination), sliced
- 1 bunch of kale, spinach, or swiss chard, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, Japanese white, or purple are nice if available, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of sesame seeds, white or black, toasted
- 3-4 Tablespoons of soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Cook sushi rice as directed, we use 1 cup of rice to 1.75 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer lightly until cooked. Usually 10-15 minutes.
- While rice is cooking prepare veggies. Saute mushrooms over medium heat in 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil (or omit oil and use nonstick). When they have released most of their water and have dried out a bit, add 1 Tbsp of soy sauce or tamari and 1 Tbsp of vinegar and stir. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and let cook until crisping up a bit, another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done, set aside and keep warm.
- In same pan, add 1/2 Tbsp of oil (or omit as directed above) and add sweet potato slices in a single even layer, cooking in batches. Let them soften and brown on one side, then flip over and brown a bit on the other. Sprinkle with salt. The thinner you slice them the faster they will cook. We used a mandolin to slice them 1/8' thick, and they cooked in about 3-4 minutes. If they're very thin, watch them closely so they don't burn. When done, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add greens to pan with a splash of soy sauce or tamari and let cook until bright green and wilted, 1-2 minutes. Add a bit of water to the pan if necessary to prevent them form burning or drying out. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Toast sesame seeds in skillet over low heat until fragrant and lightly browning. Serve veggies over rice, topped with toasted sesame, and drizzled with soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos. Add sliced avocado, crispy tofu, nori strips, carrots or cucumbers for variation. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.