As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This homemade Vegan Belgian Waffle recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dinner (if you’re a true waffle lover!). They come out super fluffy and delicious every time. Breakfast in bed anyone?
These waffles will make others question that they’re vegan!
They are simple to make and result in a light, thick and fluffy texture you’ll want to eat them every morning.
So toss out that store-bought waffle mix and get ready to whip up a few batches!
If it’s fall where you are, you have to give my Vegan Apple Cinnamon Waffles a try!
Most of these ingredients can be substituted with another vegan-friendly alternative. See the options below!
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour but you can use coconut, almond, gluten free, buckwheat, whole wheat or oat flour. (Make sure to follow correct conversions for coconut flour.)
- Baking powder: This is what gives the waffles their fluffiness! Make sure you baking powder is not expired!
- Vanilla extract: Adds delicious flavor to the waffles.
- Diary-Free Milk: You can use ANY dairy free milk such as soy, almond, coconut or rice milk.
- Flax eggs: Ground flax seeds and water will give the waffles some moisture and helps them bind.
- Step 1: Preheat your waffle iron to high
- Step 2: Add all your wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl first. Whisk well.
- Step 3: Add your dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Some lumps are okay.
- Step 4: When your waffle iron is ready, open and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in your batter and close. Do not open until the steam has stopped and edges are golden brown.
- Step 5: Serve hot with toppings of choice!
Waffle Toppings Options
Now to the good part! The toppings!!
Homemade vegan waffles on their own are amazing but if you want to take them to the next level, adding toppings is definitely the way to go. The possibilities are endless but we are delighted to give a few amazing ideas:
- Fresh fruit: Some juicy blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or sliced bananas would be ideal but feel free to experiment with whatever fresh and seasonal fruit you have available. Better yet, warm the fruit in a skillet with some water and syrup and pour over top!
- Vegan Whipped Cream: You can either make this yourself at home or grab a bottle at your local grocery store (they have great dairy-free options out there!).
- Melted Chocolate: You can melt some dairy-free chocolate chips and drizzle it on top or simply throw some chips or cocoa nibs directly on top. Check out our guide on how to melt chocolate!
- Caramel Sauce: Look for some coconut milk based caramel sauce or try making your own (it’s not a speedy process but it can turn out so good!) Check out my recipe here!
- Butter & Syrup: You can always go traditional style with a square of plant-based vegan butter and some maple syrup! Miyoko’s butter is a delicious brand.
- Compotes/Jams: Warm up fresh berry compotes and drizzle over top!
- Whipped cream: They have a few dairy-free varieties available these days so use what you like best.
Like pancakes, waffles are very customizable so feel free to play around with add-ins. Here are some vegan-friendly ideas you might like!
- Peanut butter- Add a scoop to your wet ingredients for super tasty peanut butter favored waffles!
- Spices– Cinnamon, pumpkin pie or apple pie spices would be perfect for the fall!
- Chocolate– Mini dairy-free chocolate chips or cocoa nibs would be a deliciously healthy way to get in your chocolate fix.
- Fruit– Instead of adding your fruit over top, consider adding some to your batter for a classic fruit waffle! Or do both for a sweet addition. My Vanilla Cherry Plum Jam is THE JAM!
Waffles are pretty simple to make but here are some tips to ensure yours turn out perfectly delicious every time!
- Make sure your waffle maker is hot!
- Weighing your dry ingredients will ensure your waffles consistently turn out light and fluffy.
- Use buttermilk instead of regular milk for more flavor! To make your own, add a bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to your milk.
- Don’t overmix your batter. Under-mixing will result in a lighter texture.
- Make a few batches at once and freeze them!
- Use any waffle maker you wish. Belgian waffle makers have deeper grooves.
Yes! I suggest flash freezing them first then adding them to a Ziploc bag or Tupperware container.
Yes just add coconut oil or vegan butter to a skillet and flip when tiny bubbles form on top and edges are browned.
Place frozen waffles in toaster oven or oven at 350 degrees F until just warmed though.
Yes! Eggs or flax eggs are not needed in this recipe!
Yes if you want a sweeter waffle, simply add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar. Coconut sugar is a great healthy alternative.
We hope you give this recipe a try and keep it in your vault of recipes to make over and over again! Have fun with your weekend or special occasions breakfasts!
More Breakfast Inspo?
- Banana Pancakes
- Eggless Benedict with Hollandaise
- Easy Blueberry Pancakes
- PB&J Chia Parfait
- Heart-Beet Smoothie Bowl
- Chickpea Flour Frittata Muffins (Mexican)
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
The Best Vegan Waffles
- 2 ½ tablespoons of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds
- 1 3/4 cups of plant-based milk
- 1/3 cup of neutral oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Turn on your waffle iron.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the warm water and ground flax seeds until thoroughly combined. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the plant-based milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, both sugars, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture and flax mixture. Whisk gently, just until combined. Make sure to not overmix.
- Scoop the desired amount of batter onto the preheated waffle iron. Follow your waffle iron instructions to cook. Repeat with the remaining batter until all the waffles are cooked.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.