As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apparently, when I was a young boy, I really loved when my older sister (she’s eleven years older than me) would make these potatoes for me. Apparently, early Saturday morning cartoons could not be fully enjoyed if I hadn’t earlier bugged her into cooking me this breakfast.
Undoubtedly, she loved me, and wanted to make me happy and spend quality time with me. Undoubtedly, it didn’t hurt that there were only, like, three ingredients, so making it was no big deal for a teenager.
If she can make it, so can you! And hopefully you fill it with as much love as she did!
Another great thing about this dish is how adaptable it is. Keep it bare bones if you want the traditional, comfort food meal it aspires to be. But add something to the mix, if the mood strikes. This weekend I had some kabocha squash on hand, so I threw that in. This Home Fries & Squash variation is included below in Steps 6-10.
Crispy Home Fries Recipe
- 1 ½ tablespoons of canola/vegetable oil
- 1 large russet potato chopped
- ½ medium sweet onion thinly sliced
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1-3 teaspoons of lime juice
- ½ - 1 teaspoons of lime zest
- Ketchup optional
- In a large skillet over low to medium heat, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- When the oil is heated through after a few seconds, add potatoes and onions. Mix around to coat in oil. Cover with lid and cook for 10 to 13 minutes. Stir occasionally. After 6 or 7 minutes, add a couple shakes of pepper and salt.
- When the potatoes are tender enough to be split with a spatula without too much effort, take off the lid, and turn up the heat to start browning the potatoes and onions. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring enough to brown them all over. During this part, squeeze the juice of up to half a lime in--up to your tastes. A minute or two before removing from heat, add more pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve it up with ketchup if you want to keep it classy and classic. Also, grate some lime zest right on top.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.