As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Veggie Turkey Platter is the perfect appetizer for a healthy plant-based Thanksgiving! You’ll increase your family’s vegetable intake and it is so easy to whip up. You’ll only need a few and easy to find ingredients and some creativity to make the cute avocado turkey.
Veggie Platter: Dip + Dippers
Veggie platters have been a staple of big celebrations or gathering for many generations back and they are not going anywhere. Friends and family love them and they can be a great way to add some gorgeous colors to a not so colorful dinner party. The basic formula is very simple. You’ll need one or a couple of dips, and a variety of “dippers”, in this case, vegetable sticks.
The dips can be anything from a classic hummus, a baba ganoush, or some guacamole (like in this recipe). All of these take almost no time or effort to prepare and are loved by (almost) everyone. When it comes to the veggies, any would work (as long as they can be eaten raw). Peppers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cherry tomatoes, radishes, asparagus, or mushrooms would be perfect!
For the Love of Guacamole
There’s no denying my immense love for avocado. It’s one of my favorite foods in the world and for that reason, a classic guacamole is one of my favorite dips. This guacamole recipe is very straightforward and simple. You can use it for a casual nachos and guac appetizer, as a topping for your lentil tacos, or as a topping for a fully loaded sweet potato. It’s so good and creamy, you’ll be making it time and time again.
Will you give this Veggie Turkey Platter a try? It will be a big hit!
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Veggie Turkey Platter
- 1 head of broccoli (chopped into florets)
- 1 large cucumber (sliced)
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 of a yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 of a orange bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 handful of rainbow cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful of multi-colored baby carrots
- 1 rib of celery (chopped into 4 pieces)
- 1 batch of guacamole
- Have your serving dish or platter and one or two small/medium bowls clean and ready to be filled.
- First, place the medium bowl on one side of the tray. with the small guacamole bowl inside.
- Then, arrange the vegetables in a circular shape on the tray. Start with the broccoli florets, then the cucumbers and bell peppers. Place the baby carrots and cherry tomatoes on a circular shape inside the medium bowl and the celery pieces at the bottom of the platter.
- Finally, begin to decorate the guacamole! Details below.
- For the turkey face, slice a cherry tomato lengthwise to make the head.
- For the legs, grab one baby carrot and slice lengthwise a couple of times to make two equally thick slices, then with a sharp knife trace a pattern to make the feet, then gently cut.
- For the beak, use one of the leftover triangles that you will have after making the feet.
- For the snood, grab some leftover red bell pepper and with a sharp knife design a drop-shaped design that will go next to the carrot beak.
- For the wings, grab some leftover yellow pepper and make the wings by slicing it to make two equal shapes.
- For the eyes, use some vegan cream cheese and with the tip of a knife gently dab it on the tomato to make two small tots. Then grab two black sesame seeds and gently place them on top of the cream cheese dots.
- Finally, grab all of the pieces and put your little veggie turkey together!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.