Hearty Red Lentil and Vegetable Stew2014-09-24
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
This quick and easy protein packed stew is both versatile and completely delicious. You can use whatever veggies you have in fridge, change up what kind of potato you use, leave out or add extra mushrooms, and play with adding spice, and fresh or dried herbs. It’s an incredible base recipe to work from and tastes even better the next day. Enjoy!
- 1 yellow onion (or any allium: leek, shallot, etc), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small-medium russet potato (or any potato, sweet potato as well)
- 4-5 crimini mushrooms, quartered or sliced (optional)
- 1-2 carrots, sliced
- 1-2 stalks celery, sliced (optional, but adds flavor and nutrition)
- 5-6 kale leaves, de-stemmed and chopped (any other cooking green will work as well)
- 1 medium-large tomato (or a few plum tomatoes) chopped
- 1 cup red lentils, uncooked, do not need to soak
- 4 cups vegetable broth (1 carton)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 1 tsp salt, or taste
- black pepper to taste
- (other optional add-ins: broccoli, cauliflower, peas, cabbage, kohlrabi, corn, beans, smoked paprika, fresh herbs, etc)
Add 1 Tbsp medium-high heat oil to a deep skillet or a medium/large pot. Saute onion, garlic, potato, celery, mushrooms, and carrot over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
Add red lentils, vegetable broth, tomato and kale. Stir well, liquid should sit just above (1/2" or so) lentils and veggies, if not, add a bit of water. Bring to a gentle boil (for 1-2 minutes), then lower to a simmer and cover. Let cook undisturbed for 30-40 minutes. You can also throw everything in a slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4 hrs.
Lentils and tomatoes should be broke down, potatoes and all other veggies should be soft but intact. Add nutritional yeast, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. You can add any fresh herbs and spices at this point as well. Serve hot with toasted bread, crackers, or side salad. Enjoy!
Average Member Rating
(4.2 / 5)
9 people rated this recipe