Cream of Broccoli Soup2013-06-09
- Yield : about 6 cups
- Servings : 4+
- Prep Time : 8m
- Cook Time : 22m
- Ready In : 30m
I was so excited to find this recipe in the Forks Over Knives cookbook and slightly adapt it. So creamy and so tasty! This soup is comforting and you can eat it any season! Oil free.
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 rounded cup raw cashews pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot or 2 medium, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium unpeeled potatoes, cubed
- 1 large head broccoli or more, including stem, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Purée 1 cup of the vegetable stock with the cashews in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
In a large pot, cook the onion, celery, and carrot over medium heat in 1 cup of the vegetable stock for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and potatoes and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the remaining 4 cups of vegetable stock and the broccoli, thyme, salt, and black pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer until the broccoli and potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the cashew mixture to the soup and stir until mixed. Remove the pot from hear and purée about half of the soup, in small batches, until smooth. Return puréed soup to the pot and reheat, stirring well. Serve.
Average Member Rating
(4.1 / 5)
14 people rated this recipe