As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crispy hazelnuts and tender eggplant slices top a simple and comforting pasta dish. Fragrant with fresh oregano and drizzled with balsamic vinegar, this makes a perfect rainy day dinner. I’m a big fan of including nuts in cooked dishes, and this one is no exception. The crunch, flavor, and healthy fat that’s added makes this dish a winner.
Crispy Hazelnut Eggplant Pasta
- 1/2 pound of pasta of choice
- 1 small eggplant (I used three mini chinese eggplants), sliced 1/4' thick
- 1/2 of a yellow or white onion, diced
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound of spinach, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup of flour of choice (wheat, GF, rice, chickpea all ok)
- 1/2 cup of hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- handful of fresh oregano leaves, chopped or 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain, rinse and drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Place flour, a pinch of salt and pepper, and a pinch of oregano in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Toss eggplant slices in the flour mixture one at a time until coated. Heat a deep skillet with 1 Tbsp of high heat oil over medium heat, and add eggplant slices. Cook on both sides until tender and evenly browned, usually 2-3 minutes per side. When done transfer to a plate and set aside. Keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook onion and garlic until lightly browning, and add tomato. Cook covered on medium heat for 4-5 minutes until tomatoes break down a bit. Add spinach if using. Turn heat to medium low and add pasta, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast (if using), oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat until pasta is heated through, and everything is coated.
- Top with toasted hazelnuts and eggplant slices, and drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar just before serving. Adjust salt and pepper as desired. If your hazelnuts are raw, toast for 4-5 minutes in skillet over medium low heat, then chop on cutting board. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.