Baked Zucchini Fries2016-11-30
- Skill Level: Easy
- Yield : 10 Fries
- Servings : 1
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 45m
This week’s recipe post brought to you by the sweet deal I got on zucchini at the Aldi grocery store this past Sunday!
After a nice week home for thanksgiving, it was time for me to head back to college for a grueling three weeks of final papers and presentations. Before I came back, I made my usual stop to the grocery store to stock up for the coming weeks. Aldi is always my go to for cheap produce, and this trip did not dissapoint. In addition to my usual haul of kale, spinach, mushrooms and brussels, I picked up 6 zucchinis – $2 for all of them! Woo!
We all love french fries, no denying that. But too often the word “fries” go hand in hand with words like greasy, salty, and fatty. THIS JUST IN!! Fries can be healthy. Especially when you make them yourself. Being in control of the ingredients and cooking method goes a long (and tasty) way.
One of my favorite variations has always been baked sweet potato fries – but with the influx of zucchini I had this week, I decided to get creative.
In addition to being oil-free, these zucchini fries are surprisingly crunchy, satisfying and a great way to sneak in an extra serving of greens. (as if any of you plant-based eaters need help with that 😉 )
Serve them warm with your favorite dipping sauce and make every day feel like a fryday!
- 1-2 zucchinis
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy variety)
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/2 t seasoned salt
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice zucchini into steak fries pieces, lay them out on a tray and salt. Let sit for 20 minutes
2. While this is happening, lay out ingredients for dipping. One bowl for bread crumbs +spices, one bowl for flour and a last for almond milk
3. Once zucchini slices are done sitting, preheat the oven and begin the process of dredging slices for coating. Bring the slices one at a time through the flour, followed by the milk and lastly through the bread crumbs. Repeat twice per fry until generously coated.
4. Lay out breaded fries on a non-stick baking sheet and bake on 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until outside is crispy.
5. Cool, plate and serve with avocado dipping sauce! (Made mine with Live, Eat, Learn recipe - search "avocado dipping sauce" on their site!)
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe