Easy Cheesy Vegan Mac2016-10-12
- Skill Level: Easy
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 10m
Macaroni and cheese was always one of my favorite meals as a kid. Whether it was the homemade or boxed, elbow pasta or limited edition character shaped, when it was mac and cheese night I knew it was going to be a good day. After adopting a plant-based diet I searched high and low for a similar version of this dish. This recipe has proved to be a cheap, easy way to achieve that same satisfying and filling dinner I had when I was a kid.
I try to incorporate nutritional yeast in many of my dishes whether it be for a little extra cheesy flavor on top of some veggies or to create recipes that mimic my old favorites like “cheesy” stuffed shells or this super creamy mac! I used penne for this recipe, but using shells and elbows provides an even more classic mac and cheese experience . Or, on the flip side – pour the plant-based cheesy drizzle over some quinoa for a protein-packed twist!
- 8-10oz pasta of choice ( I used quinoa penne)
- 1 & 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 T spelt flour (can sub for white)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 t chili powder
- 1/4 t chipotle powder
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- Salt to taste
1. Cook pasta according to box directions.
2. In a seperate frying pan, heat oil and flour in a saucepan on medium heat, whisking frequently.
3. Once fully incorperated, add milk, whisking constantly until a thick sauce forms (about 8 minutes).
4. Once combine, turn off heat and stir in nutritional yeast, spices and salt to taste.
5. Pour over prepared pasta of choice and mix thoroughly.
6. If desired, top with red pepper flakes for a bit of added heat. Enjoy!
Average Member Rating
(3.3 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe