As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Brussel Sprouts always seem to be up for debate. Some people run away from them and others embrace them tenderly. If you’re one of the first, then we promise you haven’t found the best way to cook them yet and we have just the right recipe for you! Spicy Mint Brussels Sprouts to the rescue!
What are Brussels Sprouts?
A member of the Brassicaceae cabbage family, these perky sprouts are not only well-loved by the place their name indicates, Brussels, Belgium. It seems like people were already obsessed with these during Roman times and they only arrived in the United States in the 17th century. They have since become a staple in our fall dishes and a big part of the end of year holiday celebrations.
Mighty Little Cabbages
Did you know these little cabbages have mighty powers? They are not only packed with fiber but also Vitamin K and Vitamin C. Did you know that Brussels Sprouts are one the best plant sources of Omega 3 fatty acids and have loads of antioxidants? Think about all this next time you eat some! They might be small but their benefits are huge!
What to Eat Them With
Which kind of dishes can you prepare with Brussels sprouts? The answer is: so many, and so many good ones! From some simple roasted Brussels’ sprouts with olive oil to a shaved Brussels sprouts salad to this juicy and Spicy Mint Brussels Sprouts. The possibilities are endless!
This recipe would go so well with some cauliflower mash or some veggie patties! Get creative and find ways to incorporate these delicious mini cabbages into your weekly meals, you’ll be happy you did!
- Medium-sized pan
- Steamer Basket
- My favorite knives
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Garlic press
- Small Whisk
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Spicy Mint Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Tablespoon of vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup of rice krispies cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 4 cups of halved Brussels sprouts
- 3 Tablespoons of water
- 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of rice vinegar
- Juice of 2 small limes
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup of mint, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small chile pepper, minced deseed if you don’t like spice
- In a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat on high. Add the rice krispies and cayenne pepper and stir until they are brown and crispy, about 60 seconds. Add salt to taste, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Steam the brussels sprouts until green and crunchy. The trick to brussels sprouts is to not over cook them. If you do, it ruins the whole dish and they retain their 'nasty' status.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, sugar, vinegar, and lime juice and mix until sugar dissolves. Add the cilantro and mint and mix again. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to a frying pan and heat on high. Make sure the oil and pan is nice and hot before dumping in the sprouts. You want to cook these until they start to char. This brings out an awesome flavor. It should take about 5 minutes.
- Dump the sprouts in a big bowl, add the vinaigrette mixture to the bowl and mix. After scooping up a serving, sprinkle on some of the rice krispies and serve right away.
- Never think about brussels sprouts the same ever again. Thank me later.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.