As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe proves that you can have a really delicious, low-fat meal with just a few simple ingredients. I came up with these patties after I had bought the most beautiful bunch of cilantro and had just cooked a fresh batch of black beans and was trying to decide how best to use them. These patties are absolutely delicious just the way they are, I didn’t spice them up too much because I wanted the fresh flavor of the black beans and cilantro to shine.
Black Bean Bulgur Patties with Cilantro and Lime
- 1/2 cup of uncooked Bulgur wheat
- 1 cup of Vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked Black beans
- 1/2 cup of lightly packed Cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 3 Green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon of Lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon of Sea salt, or to taste
- In a small pan, bring the vegetable broth or water to a boil, add bulgur and lower the heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes then drain in a fine mesh strainer. Drain very well, you may have to push the bulgur against the strainer to get every last drop of liquid!
- In a medium bowl, mash the black beans with a potato masher until no big chunks are left. Add remaining ingredients, including drained bulgur and mix well. Let mixture rest for 10 minutes, this allows it to firm up and makes it easier to handle.
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat and spray it with cooking spray. Using a 2 tbsp cookie scoop, drop the patties on the hot pan and flatten them to about ½ inch thickness with a spatula. Cook 4 or 5 at a time, until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes on each side, adding more cooking spray as needed. If the pan starts to smoke or the patties are cooking too fast, lower the heat to medium-low and proceed with the recipe. Serve on their own or in a tortilla with avocado and salsa!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.