Crockpot Tofu Red Curry2018-08-15
- Servings : 4
This simple curry from my book The Super Easy Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook is comforting and gently spiced. The sweet, mild flavors of this dish with its creamy coconut milk sauce make it a great “beginner’s curry.” If you’re not sure you love curry, give this one a try.
Ingredient Variation: Using baby carrots cuts down on prep time, but if you don’t have them, just use peeled, chopped regular carrots.
Cookware used for this recipe — all under $20 (affiliate):
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes and pressed to reduce excess water
- 3 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups peeled red or Yukon potatoes, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the tofu and brown until the edges are crisp, about 5 minutes.
Combine the tofu, baby carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, water, coconut milk, red curry paste, bouillon cube, and salt in a slow cooker; mix well.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Serve over rice and garnished with cilantro.